Master Naturalist Multi-Day Workshops
Become a master naturalist in the Rocky Mountains!
How to Book
1. Choose what session dates work best for your schedule and interests! Workshops listed below.
All workshops are $200, except for the Winter Ecology workshop. Lodging and meals are booked separately. Click to book your Master Naturalist program session from the options listed below!
2. Make Your Lodging Reservations & Learn About Meals
Enjoy a getaway while becoming a master naturalist! The YMCA of the Rockies offers a variety of cabins and hotel-style lodge rooms for a comfortable stay. Book online or call 888-613-9622 to make your reservation.
Meals are not included but can be purchased on-site during the sessions at the Aspen Dining Hall, a cafeteria-style service open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Rustic Cafe, located in the Administration Building offers light snacks, salads and sandwiches.
Birding Workshop with Scott Rashid
May 21 - 23, 2023 - SOLD OUT
June 5 - 7, 2023 - Register here (limited spots left!)
- Scott Rashid, director of the Colorado Avian Research and Rehabilitation Institute (CARRI), will present a 2-day, 3-night workshop on birds of the Rocky Mountains. Scott specializes in Northern Pigmy-Owls, Barn Owls, Northern Goshawks, rosy-fiches Hummingbirds, and corvids, as well as all birds of Northern Colorado. A well-known rehabilitation specialist, Scott rescues injured birds of all types. Scott has been working with the YMCA of the Rockies for nearly 20 years at our bird-banding site, where guests from around the world can learn about birds of the Rocky Mountains up close.
June 12 - 14, 2023 - Register here
- Join The Environmental Education Staff to become a Master Naturalist! On day 1, learn common types of flowers in the Rocky Mountains and how to identify them in the field. On day 2, learn about birds in the Rocky Mountains and common features for identification, plus where to spot them. On day 3, practice your new skills by identifying flowers and birds in Rocky Mountain National Park.
June 26 - 28, 2023 - Register here
- Learn plant biology and wildflower identification, spending one day in the alpine tundra, and another day in the montane ecosystem. On the third day, learn about edible and medicinal plants in the Rocky Mountains.
July 19 - 21, 2023 - Register here
Discover the incredible geological history of the Rocky Mountains and the features that define it. Spend time in different areas of the park to learn what happened over the last few billion years.
August 7 - 9, 2023 - Register here
- Learn about the players and events that defined the area that is now Rocky Mountain National Park. Visit historic sites in the National Park and travel on similar trails as you learn more about indigenous inhabitants, modern heroes, and everyone in between. This course will spend significant time in the filed as you identify historical events in person.
Fall Ecology Master Naturalist With Steve Johnson
September 11 - 13, 2023 - More details coming soon!
Elk Ecology Master Naturalist with Steve Johnson
October 9 - 11, 2023 - More details coming soon!